Amsoil 20W50 Motorcycle Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the virgin sample results for this oil from Blackstone Labs.

Aluminum 0
Chromium 0
Iron 1
Copper 0
Lead 0
Tin 0
Moly 0
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 0
Boron 0
Silicon 5
Sodium 2
Calcium 3852
Magnesium 9
Phosphorus 946
Zinc 1031
Barium 0

TBN 17
Flashpoint F430
Fuel 0
Water 0
Antifreeze 0
SUS Visc @ 210F 92.7

quote:

Originally posted by hk33ka1:

TBN 17

Whoa Nelly!

shocked.gif

Why are all the new, non-energy conserving, oils cutting the phos and zinc down to nothing? Take the Cal. out of it and the oil looks like a standard 10-30 oil. Someone please explain why this should be on anyone's short list?
confused.gif

Chris - I think there is an effort to keep P at 1K for SL....

But to just say an oil is only a standard dino 10W-30 with the numbers posted can be a bit misleading....

The TBN is suspect to me. The Amsoil site shows the 2 20/50's at 12 TBN and the Series 2k 20/50 at 11 TBN

The lack of Magnesium tells me they do have a formulation for motorcycles,not a relabled product

Chris,with good PAO fluids and Esters the oil does not need be overbuilt with common additives,,the oil needs them but not in gargantuan amounts. I suspect it could and should actually have more zinc and phos though in that it has mucho reduced AW/FM .

It's too much oil for the average rider IMO with a Asian built Motor

[ February 19, 2003, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Motorcycle News recently did a comparison test of 20w-50 bike oils ....They sent samples to Analysts, Inc to get baseline data. The Amsoil 20w-50 MC oil had approx 1250 ppm of P and 1400 ppm of zinc, along with a TBN of about 14.0. So I think that blackstone is way off on these numbers.

The Analysts numbers corrospond closely to the results I've seen from Amsoils own lab for this formulation. BTW, the calcium content is more like 4200 ppm, along with approx 40 ppm of Mg.

The Amsoil 10w-40 high performance oil uses a very similiar additive chemistry ....

TooSlick

Actually, it is not difficult to get a high TBN with the new calcium-magnesium overbased sulfonates.

So they are using a whopping 0.15% wt ZDDP ester.

OK, what am I missing? Where are the barrier adds ... or is it like dragboat said that with good POAs and esters the barrier adds aren't needed?

Still, I'd feel better with a good dose of moly and/or extra zinc/phosphorous ... wet clutches willing, of course.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Originally posted by Pablo:

"But to just say an oil is only a standard dino 10W-30 with the numbers posted can be a bit misleading...."

I did not say it is a standard dino! I said it "looks like a dino" via specs. Synthetic base oil aside. Why does the motorcycle specific oil have to cut down on the additives? This is primarily used in air cooled Harleys with no CAFE requirements. Is there more to this that I do not understand?
confused.gif
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Motorcycle News recently did a comparison test of 20w-50 bike oils ....They sent samples to Analysts, Inc to get baseline data. The Amsoil 20w-50 MC oil had approx 1250 ppm of P and 1400 ppm of zinc, along with a TBN of about 14.0. So I think that blackstone is way off on these numbers.

The Analysts numbers corrospond closely to the results I've seen from Amsoils own lab for this formulation. BTW, the calcium content is more like 4200 ppm, along with approx 40 ppm of Mg.

The Amsoil 10w-40 high performance oil uses a very similiar additive chemistry ....

TooSlick

So either a blending problem " seen this with another oil" or the oil needs rerun,,

On topic with a twist. When you guys send your oil to a lab do you tell them what it is ?

I didn't tell them what this was. My description was "20W50 group IV synthetic, gas engine oil". Here were Blackstones comments:

"This was a moisture free, 20W/50 engine oil with additive levels consistent with what we find for diesel use engine oils. No significant metals found in this sample. Insolubles should read 0.0% for an unused oil, but it isn't unusual to come up with a trace, as we did in this sample. We doubt the insolubles will hurt anything. The TBN for this unused oil was 17.0, wich is about the highest reading we find for unused oils."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back