Amazon Basics 0W20 References LSPI on Back Label

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I already knew this oil was formulated to mitigate chances of LSPI because of the fact it carries the API SN+ approval, so maybe it's just marketing, but the jug of Amazon Basics 0W20 that arrived today specifically states on the back label, "Formulated to Reduce Likelihood of Low Speed Pre-Ignition"

Admittedly, this is the first SN+ I've bought so maybe all the other SN+ oils say this on back, too.

[Linked Image]

10W-30 conventional has the LSPI blurb too. Don't matter to me I got it cheap when it was on sale.

I thought SN+ was supposed to be Dexos 2.

most likely the average consumer is not going to know what that (Lspi) means or read the back! They are targeting bitogers
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by OilUzer
I thought SN+ was supposed to be Dexos 2.

most likely the average consumer is not going to know what that (Lspi) means or read the back! They are targeting bitogers
grin2.gif

Dexos2 is directed towards diesel engines. Dexos1 Gen 2 is directed towards gasoline engines. One can flip-flop, but really why?
I'm not using Dexos2 in my two Korean models. No reason to, for the latest specs - beyond what my owners manual stated 1-2 years ago (outdated specs today), now recommend SN Plus / Dexos 1 Gen2.

When my vehicle engines were built, SN was the norm. But not anymore. Plus, a better GDI/TGDI /lspi fighter is now SN Plus / Dexos1 Gen2.

But hey, if Dexos 2 is calling you and you can't sleep, then use whatever those inner voices and inner thoughts are directing you to.....lol. Your vehicle won't blow up using Dexos 2. But it may see a shorter life without repairs.

SN+ does not mean Dexos 1 Gen2.
10w-30 oils are SN+ but not Dexos approved, since the 10w-30 spec is not a Dexos spec oil.

SN+ was made to address the LSPI issue on the API licensing side, the Dexos 1 was a GM spec for the LSPI issue that they wanted for their vehicles that went mainstream before the SN+ spec came out.

Originally Posted by blupupher

OK - what gas passenger oils are D1-G2 and not SN Plus - or older stock SN?

My guess is Zero.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

My guess is Zero.

I would hazard to presume that the 5w20 and 10w30s in the same brand line as the D1-G2's get the same additive package given today's lean manufacturing methods. In Those cases they will only be labeled sn+

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

My guess is Zero.

I said SN+ does not equal D1G2, not that D1G2 does not equal SN+

'Mean' is what you said, not 'equal'

Dexos 1 Gen 2 definitely means SN Plus (attached to it).
SN Plus does not equal Dexos 1 Gen 2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back