Aieee car won't start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went up just now it's -22 C out, and will go a bit lower but there is a problem.. my car started with a big spewing puff of exhaust that dwindled away and a gasoliney smell.. i let it run a bit to warm up a little, then I got in and it stalled dead on me before I could change into gear and drive off. Now it won't start anymore.. the starter motor just cranks but no ignition.. any ideas? My battery is still valid, as I have lights and stuff inside..

I tried pressing the gas pedal while turning the key. It doesn't do any good.

Did my gasoline freeze or something? My tank is fairly low, but I need it to start, I work at 8 am.

Does anyone have any ideas?

BTW, the oil is the 0w30 GC.

This sucks. It won't start. I bought a 5 litre can from petro canada for $7.99 ripoff. And 4 litres of gas to go with it.

Now all the car does is beep and flicker various lights at me like it's mad.

The lines must be frozen. I can get a ride to work iin the morning, but I have to take 2 buses back from outside my region which is going to SUCK SO BAD in this weather. Oh my GOD. I wonder if I can beg a coworker to take me home for cash.

That sucks bud...

Why did you buy the gas though?

You have a few options:

Wait until temperatures warm up
Manually heat lines with hair dryer, etc, etc...
Get towed somewhere indoors where it's above freezing so car can sit overnight and lines can "de-freeze".

OR, Here's what I'd try:

At the VERY MINIMUM, I'd suggest you go buy a few bottles of Iso-Heet (or regular heet) and dump a few of them in the tank...it will remove any water/condensation in the tank, which you obviously do have!

Some have been lucky enough for the Heet product to reach their fuel lines and clear the freeze out when just dumping it in and cranking the car over...I wouldn't count on it though.

But I'd suggest you also buy some starting fluid...with the starting fluid in the engine and it cranking over, and with HEET getting pumped into your fuel lines, you have a good chance of possibly getting the beast started. You'll probably have to do a bunch of cranking (how's that battery doin'??), and it might be a little rough, but it's better than riding the bus and beggin' for rides!

Good Luck!

P.S. - After you do get your car started, I would continue the use of a heet or similar product for at least a few weeks to make sure all condensation/water is out of system. After this, use when below 20F or so and try to keep gas 1/2 full...it won't clean anything up (like fuel system cleaners), but will just absolutely make sure that your gas will not freeze on you again! Small price to pay to guarantee your gas not freezing up on you anymore!

Let us know what happens...

[ January 10, 2004, 04:57 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

Get a can of this
 -

Yep, it's a serious product sold downunder

Still dead, no fluid yet.

I got a neighbor to help me push the car into the unheated, but single car garage. The doors are closed and the block heater is plugged in. Hopefully this will be enough to warm up the car a bit, or at least, the garage a little too from waste heat.

Now my body is tired from the pushing.

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice given folks.

Btw, that is a hilarious product name.

Ok good news to report.. I left the block heater on all night long, and come morning I attempted to restart it. Still no go.. stalled out twice among a few no starts at all. Which is more than it could do before.

Remembering a tip I read on the web, I switched the transmission (this is an automatic) to neutral and started it.. it started and stayed on.. I kept my foot on the gas for about a minute to keep it at 1500 rpm so it would start getting a flow going without stalling again.. Strong gasoliney smell in garage (yes, the garage door was open).

Drove off to gas station, and bought 34 litres of gas. This means there was only 16 litres in the tank, and probably only about 12 before I added some extra the night before. Oops.

Starting up the car at the end of the workday there was another strong gasoliney smell while I brushed snow off the car. On the way home, I stopped and bought two yellow STP bottles of 'water remover' and dumped one into the tank. I'll use the other bottle next time I fill up. I don't want to treat the system too extensively because I'm waiting on Ford to get in redesigned parts to do the silent recall on the defective fuel pumps. At which time I'll ask the tech to change the fuel filter, and the in-tank filters. (The tanks have/had a problem with shedding the lining, which then jammed a lot of people's pumps causing stalling on curves and other problems.)

Car seems ok now. Whew. Many thanks to everyone who shared good advice.

Why do automatics start better on neutral sometimes? Is it a battery issue?

Btw, a buddy told me of his friends that he knows about, a new Corolla and a '98 Civic couldn't start either, and some other car had it's clutch pedal freeze while the car was being operated apparently.

The reason you may have been able to start in nuetral and not park is that the ignition inhibitor switch on the gear change is worn/faulty/out of alignment. Try pushing past park and/or moving the gear change lever to see if it makes a difference.

BTW: The fuel pump/ tank recall issue sounds like it may have got you. Putting more fuel in may have just moved the tank lining material off the pump filter pad for the time being.

Hummm. I'm no mechanic, but it sort of sounds like it could be a Charcoal canister.

BTW, I know on diesel once the line freezes its frozen, I don't see how it can unfreeze by adding anything in there... how's the product going to go past the line if its blocked?

Also, was anything done recently? Anything NEW put on?

DEWFPO: 2000 Focus ZX3

theguru: I apologize but I don't know what an ignition inhibitor switch is.. The shifter seems to move fine. Some gears require pressing the unlock button on the handle (like park).
In regards to the tank, it's possible. Unfortunately, Ford in it's wisdom has decreed that it will be the pumps that will be redesigned, rather than simply changing the tanks.
My car has probably done a fair bit of shedding by now, it will be 4 driven years as of June, so there's probably not too much left to come off.

Robbie Alexander: Only tires in November. I also have no idea what a charcoal cannister is, except that it seems like such a thing should come with a guy in a hat to shovel wood into the boilers.
Straight gas engine here, though it almost was a TDI VW but interestingly the dealership salesman discouraged the purchase saying diesels were too much trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back