A filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

As some of you know, lately I have been trying different oils, Castrol Syntec 20w50, Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and Mobil 1 5w40. During these changes I have not switched out the filter as both cars have filters with less than 2k miles on them. Is that an unwise thing to do and should I have changed the filters with those oil changes? FYI the filters are the Mobil 1 EXT and the Amsoil 25k filter. They were not cheap filters and I want to make sure I am not hurting anything by leaving them in. Thank you.

Quote:

As some of you know, lately I have been trying different oils, . . .

Yeah some of us keep close tabs on your oil activities; myself, I even mark the calendar. . .
laugh.gif

But no. . . reusing a filter that has only 2000 miles on it is fine; even if it's had different oils in it. And especially, you would want to get some more use out of that high dollar Amsoil filter.
smile.gif
cheers.gif

Thank you both for the info and that was funny, Merkava! I was hoping not to replace the Amsoil yet and the Mobil 1 EXT should be good for a while as well.
smile.gif

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to accomplish here, but if you're changing the oil that often you might buy cheaper filters. I would never change the oil and not change the filter. To each his own...

Well, I would agree with you completely, vronline but I had purchased the two filters recently when I was trying the Rotella T synthetic 5w40 and then decided to try the PP 5w30, M1 5w40 and Castrol Syntec 20w50. The filters cost so much and since each oil had only been in the engine a few hundred miles it seemed inconsequential to change the filters but I wanted to check with the BITOG forum before presuming too much.

I agree - if you are doing an oil experiment, you should remove and drain the filter. And partially refill with new oil before reinstalling - or if you are really anal, rinse the filter with the new oil
hide.gif

Well, I was fairly new to BITOG and was reading so many things about different oils and just couldn't resist trying out the ones that impressed me. But my manual stated to use 5w30, 10w30 and 15w40 depending on conditions and was making me switch all the time due to input from the forum. It has definitely cost me some money and that is why I dreaded having to get rid of the expensive filters if they were capable of going an OCI with all the oil changes. I want to be able to run the thinnest oil possible and still be safe for my engines but most agree and recommend the 15w40/5w40 for my Volvos here in Phoenix and that is why I made the latest switch to 5w40 M1. The weird thing is that one of the best oils that felt good running in my Volvos was the MC 5w20 but that just seems strange to me since it is so much thinner and isn't recommended in the manual.
dunno.gif

You're doing the right thing by going by your owner's manual. Unless you're doing really extended drains, I think you could use a Purolator or Wix filter and be just as well off. Again, this is a personal opinion.

Quote:

The filters cost so much and since each oil had only been in the engine a few hundred miles it seemed inconsequential to change the filters but I wanted to check with the BITOG forum before presuming too much.

You keep you filters and send ME the "used" oil.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back