A Browning A5 with problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
This film clip is from the "Tales of the Gun" series. It's from the episode on Browning. It starts off with a guy shooting an antique (first model--look at the safety) Auto-5. Note the gun spitting fire out of the receiver everytime he fires it. It's clearly firing out of battery due to excessive wear on the locking bolt. Very unsafe and every shot is just increasing the wear and headspace problems.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Fill us in!!!

Quote:
By 1900, it had bought 44 of his models, but Bennett was concerned that no ready market existed for such a radical weapon.

Facing a Winchester stall of two years, Browning took it to Remington Arms Co. While he was waiting in the reception room at its headquarters in Ilion, N.Y., the president of the firm died of a heart attack.

Aiming For Colt

Browning realized the company would be in a state of confusion, though he did start licensing some of his guns to Remington in 1906. He decided his best bet was to approach Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co. in Hartford, Conn.

This is completely wrong. The gun that caused the break with Winchester was the Auto-5. Winchester didn't want to pay Browning royalties and Browning would not just sell them the rights to the design as he had done on his previous guns. He was worried that Winchester really didn't want to produce the gun and would just sit on it like they had done on many of his other designs. So, he wanted to license the A5 to Winchester and take payment in royalties. Winchester balked and Browning walked...straight over to Remington. The president of Remington died before they could strike a deal so Browning went to FN in Belgium, and the rest, as they say, is history. The A5 and FN were responsible for establishing the 20th century iteration of "Browning Arms," since up to that point all of Browning designs had been Winchesters (except for the 600 or so single shot rifles Browning made before Winchester bought the patent to that).

In 1906 Browning did subsequently license the A5 to Remington and they produced it as their Model 11. He also licensed it to Savage in the late 20s and they produced it as their Model 720 and 726--and with an alloy receiver as the Model 745. During World War II Browning inked a deal with Remington to keep the Browning labeled Auto-5 in production. Remington produced the Browning A5 up until 1952 when FN was finally able to resume building it. In the mid-70s A5 production was moved to Mirkou in Japan and the final run of A5s was completed in 1999.

Yeah they wrote:

Quote:
Browning's first automatic rifle caused the break with Winchester.

Should have been "shotgun".

So the "waiting in the reception room at its headquarters in Ilion, N.Y., the president of the firm died of a heart attack." is wrong as well?

I agree they got some of those facts goofy, but doesn't take away from the man.

Yeah they wrote:

Quote:
Browning's first automatic rifle caused the break with Winchester.

Should have been "shotgun".

So the "waiting in the reception room at its headquarters in Ilion, N.Y., the president of the firm died of a heart attack." is wrong as well?

I agree they got some of those facts goofy, but doesn't take away from the man.

The reception room part is true. But just replacing "rifle" with "shotgun" in that part of the article won't suffice because Browning didn't leave Remington and go to Colt, he went to FN. The author has just got his facts all screwed up here confusing Browning's first machine gun (what would become the Colt 1895) with Browning's semi-auto shotgun (what would become the Auto-5).

NY writers....a gun is a gun!
lol.gif

thumbsup2.gif
Thanks for straightening it out. I was planning on finding a good bio book on Browning and I would have been like, WTH.

NY writers....a gun is a gun!
lol.gif

"This is my rifle, this is my gun. One is for shooting the other for fun."
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back