75 shot on the bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw update on the destroyed mazda 6 motor.

The entire rear cylinder bank was at 50% or less compression. The rings were completely fried. Turns out the air distribution between the front and rear cylinder banks is off by about 4-7%. (Rear gets more).

Since the dry shot of nos was being fired prior the manifold (in the intake), this means that not only was the rear bank getting 4-7% more air, but 4-7% more nos as well.

Since the tuning was done via a sniffer (averaged A/F ratio), this didn't take into account that one bank of cylinders was running lean.

Few trips down the track, and the car started losing power.

What eventually killed it was a spun rod bearing on one of the rear cylinders. (detonation)

Here's a photo of the teardown.
 -

Additional photos
http://www.wam.umd.edu/~greghess/forum/engine/

Larger photos
http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/incoming/Mazda/

Of additional note...mike, the 6i mtx transmission isn't very strong. I can't handle excessive amounts of power past 200 whp. I think you'd be fine with a 50 shot, but I'd start worrying about your transmission longevity (3rd gear is the one that goes) if you start pushing much past the 200 whp mark.

The SCCA tripoint guys had to rebuild or replace the transmission almost every race (280 bhp, stock tranny), and one of the mazda3 guys running nos blew his 3rd gear out.

Not saying not to do it, just to err caution
smile.gif
. Figured everyone would like the photos as well.

(Engine had around 50k miles on it btw...just outta warranty, not that this would be covered
smile.gif
)

Great photo and post
cheers.gif
. Thanks for the tips and concern Crossbow but I decided a while back that I wasn't going to beat to death the car that gets me back and forth to work. I'll buy an older play car for my track days.

BTW...know of anyone who makes a kit to shoehorn a 302 into a Miata?
grin.gif

BTW...sadly, my 6i has an ATX
frown.gif

Ha, your in luck. Big aftermarket for the ATX in the 6i. Its that FNL-4A ( or something like that) used in many vehicles. All sorts of valve body's, LSD's, buildups, you name it.

"BTW...know of anyone who makes a kit to shoehorn a 302 into a Miata?"

It's been done..........called the MM for Miata Monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back