3 tires @ 4/32, 1 @ 6/32?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got an oil change and tire rotation on my 2012 Mazda 3 today (30,000 miles). On the sheet I got with the receipt, it lists my remaining tread depth: LF, LR, and RR are at 4/32", RF is at 6/32". How does this happen?

The tires are OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL400 which I have complained about before (they aren't getting better, not that I expected them to); they seem to be getting noisier and noisier so I'm probably looking at replacement within the next 12 months or so.

Bad handwriting and / or a typo?

How about measuring yourself? That way you can compare inner and outer wear as well.

Can you confirm yourself? Could be a data entry/ miscommunication between tech and service writer.

Most common scenario would be someone missed a spot in the rotation (doing 3), or you somehow got X'd weird where a rear tire spent time on the other rear corner due to some sort of hangover etc.

I'll have to pick up a depth gauge. I have been meaning to anyway.

I would not be surprised if the rotation got messed up, this dealer doesn't seem to be that great (I have 1 more free service, and then I'll be doing it myself).

Someone probably rotated the tires on one side and either forgot to rotate the other side or said "f**k it"

Thanks for that! I was unaware of the various coins (I just knew about Lincoln's head). I will check tomorrow.

Around 6/32nds is where I start thinking about getting new tires. I shop for a while and wait for good sales. I just had my new Coopers installed today to replace a set of tires with 4-6/32nds. Those tires weren't spectacular to start with and hadn't aged well.

There are tons of cheap tread depth gauges on ebay, ranging from $1.50 shipped to a several dollars.

This is the type I like:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tire-Tread-Depth...abf&vxp=mtr
$_35.JPG

I had a couple of those kept losing em. I now just use a 6" dial caliper... alot harder to lose.

OK, checked the tires out this morning. I'd say the tech at the dealer was optimistic, they are between 3/32 and 4/32 with some of the inside edges down more than that. And ol' thumpy has stepped up the protest. So, time for new tires.

Agreed! Also, I learned that I am not good at estimating tread depth using just my eyes.
smile.gif

The tread bars are about 2/32 (legal minimum), so when it looks like you could double the tread bars height, that's probably when it's good to look for new tires as the tread depth will be in the 4/32 range.

Originally Posted By: jdeare
Agreed! Also, I learned that I am not good at estimating tread depth using just my eyes.
smile.gif

Neither was your dealer tech.
laugh.gif

Got some Yokohama YK580s installed on Friday. They only have about 50 miles on them so far, but they seem way better: quieter for sure, and in the rain this morning, no hydroplaning.

Planning on rotating these every 5000 miles; hopefully they will last longer than 30,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back