2020 BMW X3 - Scan tool for programming ECU for new battery?

Any indy shop will be able reprogram it, probably for free at the same time they reset the oil life monitor after they change your oil.
Throwing in an oil change sounds about right.
Our Tiguan battery is a little over four years old and I am expecting trouble at any time. I’m not particularly fond of making a 150 mile round trip to the VW dealership for a replacement. Adding the labor cost, reprogramming cost, and the battery cost isn’t going to to be cheap.

Last edited:
BimmerLink and BimmerCode, buy once and you're done. You'll be able to code, diagnose DTCs and do most scan tool jobs on BMWs, Minis, including registering new batteries.
BimmerCode cannot register a battery, but BimmerLink can (at least for most model BMWs). I have bimmerCode and it can only code for battery capacity...so it can accommodate a smaller or larger amp hour battery...that is all. This is for a G30 5 series

BimmerCode cannot register a battery, but BimmerLink can (at least for most model BMWs). I have bimmerCode and it can only code for battery capacity...so it can accommodate a smaller or larger amp hour battery...that is all. This is for a G30 5 series
So after reading everyone's take on this, I'm going to leave battery replacement to the indie pro when the time comes. I'll handle the low hanging fruit like oil changes and blinker fluid.

The small investment to get both apps is invaluable in the long run for a BMW owners. Registering a new battery is one of hundreds of useful things you'll be able to do. Resetting service intervals and adjusting minor convenience things (like autostart on/off by default) will make your BMW personalized to exactly how you want it.

Believe me, it's worth it and both apps are super easy to use.

The small investment to get both apps is invaluable in the long run for a BMW owners. Registering a new battery is one of hundreds of useful things you'll be able to do. Resetting service intervals and adjusting minor convenience things (like autostart on/off by default) will make your BMW personalized to exactly how you want it.

Believe me, it's worth it and both apps are super easy to use.
I'd agree. Get bimmerLink, it is useful for lots of coding and other functions. I will get it when the time comes for a new battery for my M550iX. For now bimmercode is fine for my coding needs

Bimmerlink also comes in handy for reading any error codes (hopefully none appear)

for the older bmw folks, make sure to keep power in the system whne replacing the battery. lose of power can mess up the foot well module . happened to my friend when he replaced the battery in his e90

Back