2014 Harley Davidson 103B - 1021mi - M1 V-Twin

Status
Not open for further replies.
2999 total miles, 510 since last sample.

Oil remains in service

To recap, The factory fill (HD 360) was sampled at 495 and 999miles, The 1000 mile service was done with SYN3 and sampled at 495 (1494 total) and 979 (1978 total) then changed again with M1 V-Twin and sampled at 511 (2489) and 1021 (2999).

All samples were pulled from the oil tank after a significant ride.

I'll run it to 5000 total, assuming that doesn't take too much over a year from the initial M1 fill.

Anyway, here you go.

Harley2999.jpg

The local Police have the 103s and I talked to them and they love riding them.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Do you think there's something wrong with the motor, to do that many UOA's on a fairly new motor?.,,,

Have you ever seen a MoCo factory installed oil filter cut open off a new bike?

Originally Posted By: flstffxe

You can see the one off this bike right here in the filter forum.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: flstffxe

You can see the one off this bike right here in the filter forum.
grin.gif

I would not call yours the norm. Looks to clean.

This came off a friends '14 road glide at 1000 miles.

Beat up getting it off, cut open with a filter cutter. Yes those are aluminum machining chips. Documented under warranty, but no action taken. Of the friends I still have working in dealers and the helping out I do at a local shop, This is fairly common.

MD6AXKt.jpg

v9L4Rut.jpg

toWiUQk.jpg

Thanks for the report. Hopefully on Friday or Sat (temps in the mid 70s for a couple days!) Im going for a long run on my 14RK to get the oil good and hot and send off a sample to Blackstone. About 2k miles on the oil now and changing for the winter. Its great to be able to compare the trends for fun. Different usage and riding etc, not that I think its scientific but interesting for me. The Mystik is at the lighter end of the 50 range for sure, where the Mobil 1 and HD oil is at the upper end.
Anyway, will post the results by the end of the month.

Last edited:
How would just sampling oil, make any difference to whats trapped in the filter? I've cut apart alot of filters and they all seemed to be doing what they were designed to do. If anything changing the filter every 500 miles would be cheaper then UOA's.,,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
How would just sampling oil, make any difference to whats trapped in the filter? I've cut apart alot of filters and they all seemed to be doing what they were designed to do. If anything changing the filter every 500 miles would be cheaper then UOA's.,,,

It doesn't make a difference on "what is trapped in the filter". What's trapped in the filter can be a indication of a bigger problem. A UOA can confirm that either way by looking at wear metals present in the oil.

In the case of the filter I posted with the manufacturing debris. What is to say all the debris made it to the filter and that some of our isn't stuck in a oil passage blocking flow causing increased wear?

If an oil gallery was blocked by anything, it wouldn't take long to hear a part starved for oil. The op has newer bike with a warranty, so if something were to happen it would be replaced by the dealer. Ride the darn thing instead or worrying about a oil problem that for the most part, doesn't exist.,,,

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Thanks for the report. Hopefully on Friday or Sat (temps in the mid 70s for a couple days!) ... Its great to be able to compare the trends for fun. Different usage and riding etc, not that I think its scientific but interesting for me. ....

Looking forward to it.

It was an interesting experiment.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Thanks for the report. Hopefully on Friday or Sat (temps in the mid 70s for a couple days!) ... Its great to be able to compare the trends for fun. Different usage and riding etc, not that I think its scientific but interesting for me. ....

Looking forward to it.

It was an interesting experiment.

I sent it in to Blackstone, tracking says by Friday. Not sure how long Blackstone will take with Christmas next week, we will see. I know what you mean by experiment, I feel like the experimenter, not sure I like that feeling but know in my gut I'm doing the right thing. It's funny how one can feel, using a product that is not promoted or marketed in a large way. Believe me, I know, because I'm using such a product!

Last edited:
I sent in a Mobil 1 20w-50 sample from a 2011 Ultra Ltd 103 staged 1 with 3k miles on it in 1 year. The oil was in great shape and they advised to go 5k next time. Bike had 4k on it.
You are wasting a lot of money but Blackstone loves you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back