2003 Toyota Camry M1 0W40 9500 mile on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
jsharp, I checked out my air box and associated hose's and did not find anything out of the ordinary. I did not take anything off of the car though! If this keeps up I will remove all of the plumbing and look for small crack or someting. I did replace the filter as I do every year but the old one looked good still.We will see what we see?

John this was an outstanding UOA. WHat did this SX do to help each of the major adds. Looking at a UOA I could not see that it added as much as the UOA of SX would indicate, I realize you diluted it greatly adding only 8 oz per 4 quarts but it sure seemed to help with wear, plus did not get your P to levels thought to damage the cat!
Thanks
GregH

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
Get rid of some of the dirt ingestion and I bet you do see single digit wear numbers...

Hmmmmmmmm . . . perhaps use of the Toyota-recommended 5w-30 oil (esp M1) would also result in single digit wear numbers, as this engine is quite capable of generating. I'd think this all the more likely given the apparent lack of evidence of actual dirt ingress. But hey, on the other hand, JB could continue with these numbers and this oil for a long, long time and he would likely have zero problems.
cheers.gif

EDIT: I would hasten to add, for a measure of perspective, that I'd still be very happy with this UOA, and wouldn't really think it's anything to complain about. Changes based upon this info would very much fall into the category of fine-degree tweaking.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Hmmmmmmmm . . . perhaps use of the Toyota-recommended 5w-30 oil (esp M1) would also result in single digit wear numbers, as this engine is quite capable of generating. I'd think this all the more likely given the apparent lack of evidence of actual dirt ingress. But hey, on the other hand, JB could continue with these numbers and this oil for a long, long time and he would likely have zero problems.
cheers.gif

EDIT: I would hasten to add, for a measure of perspective, that I'd still be very happy with this UOA, and wouldn't really think it's anything to complain about. Changes based upon this info would very much fall into the category of fine-degree tweaking.

The Si at 21 made me think he might be getting too much dirt. My 4Runner with a K&N showed about that much dirt in about the same miles and had iron numbers I didn't like. Both dropped when I went back to a paper filter.

I agree about using 5W-30. I think it would show numbers just as good as this, maybe better even though the 0W-40 sheared to a 30 weight like it always seems to.

This is a good report though and I wouldn't worry about it either way. At this rate the engine will probably outlast the vehicle many times over...

The main reason I have been useing the 0W40 is becasue some of our brothers from OZ reported good things about M1 0W40. Theymentioned that it plated up well. ALl other things being equal I can live with the shearing in this application. I might just try the M1 TSUV 5W30!

I just put in 4 quarts of M1 0W40 and a M1 oil filter. I also changed my gear lube to Redline MTL/MT90 and am loveing it!

"plated up well" ???

JB, what exactly are you referring too? Who down in OZ said good things about it and why?

I do not rember now. I want to say that it is was Sprintman??? He was doing all kinds of Timken testing on various OTC products. If I rember correctly he said that M1 0W40 did very well on the Timken macine plateing up almost instantly. This is one of the reasons I tried M1 0W40 to begin with. I do not rember for sure if it was Sprintman or not but I do rember that they were from "down-under"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back