2000 Concorde 2.7, stick with G-05 or use Peak GL

Status
Not open for further replies.
This car currently has Chrysler G-05 in it, and it is due for a flush. I was thinking of using Peak Global Lifetime that I already have, or should I stay with G-05?

Yeah I would use PGL if you have it and are going to flush the G-05. PGL is suppose to be compatible with G-05 but for some reason I think G-05 might be one of the least combatible AFs. I think there might be borates or nitrites in it or something. but if you drain or flush most of it out I think it's totally fine.

If you can get G-05 stay with it.
G-05 have very good reputation.....
There arent a single history were it has been involved
in unlike dexcool and others.

Not sure how much PGL you have, but for Ford or Chrysler I'd try to stick with G-05. It's the chemistry they recommend, it can generally be found at Ford dealers(~$12) or Napa in the Zerex brand(~$10). From what I've read on this board it is good stuff in the vehicles it's recommended for.

That said, I don't think PGL would hurt for a distilled flush series with 2-3yr interval.

But, G-05 would be my first choice for your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
Care to elaborate?

Sure. G-05 has silicates. Peak GL does not. Silicates in coolant provide almost instant protection to cooling system surfaces. This is one of the biggest reasons Ford, Dodge, John Deere, Mercedes and numerous others use it. That and they prefer coolant that doesn't...
  • Attack gaskets.
  • Create sludge.
  • Cause cavitation erosion.
  • Cause corrosion.
Peak GL (like Deathcool) takes awhile to build up any kind of protective layer from it's purely organic inhibitors.

On top of that, Peak claiming it lasts for the lifetime of the vehicle is living in a fairy tale land ran by marketing executives.

Just reading this makes me laugh a bit...

http://www.peakantifreeze.com/peak_global_lifetime.html

Originally Posted By: Coolant_Man
Originally Posted By: bigmike
Care to elaborate?

Sure. G-05 has silicates. Peak GL does not. Silicates in coolant provide almost instant protection to cooling system surfaces. This is one of the biggest reasons Ford, Dodge, John Deere, Mercedes and numerous others use it. That and they prefer coolant that doesn't...
  • Attack gaskets.
  • Create sludge.
  • Cause cavitation erosion.
  • Cause corrosion.
Peak GL (like Deathcool) takes awhile to build up any kind of protective layer from it's purely organic inhibitors.

On top of that, Peak claiming it lasts for the lifetime of the vehicle is living in a fairy tale land ran by marketing executives.

Just reading this makes me laugh a bit...

http://www.peakantifreeze.com/peak_global_lifetime.html

Silicates dropping out can lead to problems as well, however - and some of those bullet points you mention.

I know G-05 uses a low dose of silicates, so I don't see where the major improvement over a regular OAT would be. Perhaps minor improvement.

I don't see where a properly maintained system it will make a difference. I agree with you in that I also believe no antifreeze will last the lifetime of a vehicle.

Silicates and phosphates don't seem to be needed to get aluminum protection. We have no evidence that PGL sludges or attacks gaskets like Dexcool is thought to. PGL is not Dexcool any more than G-05 is.

I don't think it's known that G-05 is better or as good as PGL (or the Asian formulas) across the board. Although, if my car came with G-05, despite PGL supposedly being compatible, I'd probably stick with the G-05. But if I was going to switch from Dexcool or the Asian coolants to something else, I think I'd go with PGL over G-05.

Silicates dropping out is more of a problem with the older green coolants like what Prestone use to be. That inferior stuff only had a shelf life of a about 12-18 months if unopened. Being mixed with water and moving through the cooling system made this stuff last 2-3 years assuming no problem occured.

I know a lot of people have switched over from Deathcool to the old green syrup. Green will attack newer cooling system components. It is a worse replacement than sticking with Deathcool.

The auto makers using G-05 SPECIFICALLY want coolant with a low dose of silicates. A little bit of silicates are great.

Asian auto makers like phosphates better than silicates, but both essentially do the same thing which is offer instant protection to cooling system surfaces the coolant comes into contact with specifically aluminum and water pump components.

The big problem with any purely OAT coolant is the protective layer it creates. This layer takes thousands of miles/several days to be created. If a contaminant is in the cooling system and removes this protective layer, damage WILL occur. HOAT coolant using silicates or phosphates help battle this problem by almost instantly recreating the protective layer.

The only real universal coolant is distilled water, but water suffers freezing and boiling temperatures that are easily met worldwide. Water by itself is very corrosive to cooling system metals.

When one needs to do a chemical cleaning of a cooling system and uses a product such as Prestone Super Radiator Cleaner that needs to be ran for 4-6 hours with distilled water, the cleaner has anti-corrosive protection for the time needed for it to clean the cooling system.

With the exception of supposedly not using 2-EHA, Peak GL is pretty much chemically Deathcool. But since it doesn't specifically list on it what is used, we will never know unless Peak releases this information.

Now Peak GL could possibly be the best replacement for Deathcool systems, but I know G-05 works perfectly fine as a Deathcool replacement. Super Tech IS Deathcool with a different color.

I drive a Ford and use G-05 in it. My family owns a couple of newer Dodges and several newer Chevrolets. ALL now use G-05 after a careful chemical flush done twice to remove the OAT protective layer fully. G-05 works perfectly in all of them. I usually drain the radiators and overflow tanks in all of them and refill them all with about 55/45 to 60/40 mixture of G-05/distilled water.

Thanks for your input Coolant_Man. However, can't say I agree with everything.

Silicates dropping out is more of a problem with the older green coolants like what Prestone use to be. That inferior stuff only had a shelf life of a about 12-18 months if unopened. Being mixed with water and moving through the cooling system made this stuff last 2-3 years assuming no problem occured.

That might've been true about silicon drop out and short shelf life at one time, but I think most of the recent Green has a low silicate formula, maybe similar to G-05's. Green was never suggested to last more than 2-3 years and as long as you followed that recommendation it seemed to work well in most any car.

Quote:
I know a lot of people have switched over from Deathcool to the old green syrup. Green will attack newer cooling system components. It is a worse replacement than sticking with Deathcool.

Well Dexcol is not as bad as some make it out to be as long as you keep air out of the system. It might be more agressive with certain plastics and gaskets, but other than that it actually protects pretty well. I don't think Green will attack newer cooling systems anymore than say G-05 will. Green has been recommended and used in cooling systems for well over 20 years that were very similar to newer ones, aluminum, plastic radiator tanks etc. There might be a small issue of Green being more basic than idea for aluminum. I'm not sure what the pH of G-05 is, but again this hasn't been a big issue. Green has prtected aluminum fairly well for over 20 years.

Quote:
The auto makers using G-05 SPECIFICALLY want coolant with a low dose of silicates. A little bit of silicates are great.

I think most Green is a low silicate formula. G-05 is primarily a H-OAT for the purpose of longer life. I don't think the issue revolves around silicates since if you change Green more regularly they don't seem to be a problem.

Quote:
Asian auto makers like phosphates better than silicates, but both essentially do the same thing which is offer instant protection to cooling system surfaces the coolant comes into contact with specifically aluminum and water pump components.

Yeah that's true I think. Asians don't like silicants because of concerns of water pump seal life, and Europeans don't like phospahtes because of hard water concerns. I don't think either is really a concern in reality, but phosphates might have less issues if the water isn't hard. Now, this instant protection thing I think is blown over-board, but I'll get back to that later. Usually this protective coating is put down before any real issue seems to develop and now you have full-time protection.

Quote:
The big problem with any purely OAT coolant is the protective layer it creates. This layer takes thousands of miles/several days to be created. If a contaminant is in the cooling system and removes this protective layer, damage WILL occur. HOAT coolant using silicates or phosphates help battle this problem by almost instantly recreating the protective layer.

This just hasn't been a problem with dexcool and probably other anti-freezes that lack fast acting inhibitors. Maybe it could be in an older engine switched from Green to Dexcool, but I doubt it.

Quote:
The only real universal coolant is distilled water, but water suffers freezing and boiling temperatures that are easily met worldwide. Water by itself is very corrosive to cooling system metals.

Yeah water alone lacks the low freeze point and inhibitors needed.

Quote:
When one needs to do a chemical cleaning of a cooling system and uses a product such as Prestone Super Radiator Cleaner that needs to be ran for 4-6 hours with distilled water, the cleaner has anti-corrosive protection for the time needed for it to clean the cooling system.

Maybe, but I don't know if it needs that long to act. Most people just circulate the radiator cleaner for a few minutes and it seems to work.

Quote:
With the exception of supposedly not using 2-EHA, Peak GL is pretty much chemically Deathcool. But since it doesn't specifically list on it what is used, we will never know unless Peak releases this information.

I think if an anti-freeze like PGL lacks 2-EHA then it is not "deathcool" anymore than Green, Asian, or G-05 is. We don't know what the proprietary inhibitor is, but I think the formula is more similar to Asian formula, which is held in high esteem, without the phosphates. It claims greater compatibility with other coolants and a longer life. Either it's really good or hyped up, but I think it's much better than the other universal coolants/dexclones.

Quote:
Now Peak GL could possibly be the best replacement for Deathcool systems, but I know G-05 works perfectly fine as a Deathcool replacement. Super Tech IS Deathcool with a different color.

I agree with all that. I don't have the proof but my thinking is G-05 is probably less compatible with mixing in other coolants than the others.

Quote:
I drive a Ford and use G-05 in it. My family owns a couple of newer Dodges and several newer Chevrolets. ALL now use G-05 after a careful chemical flush done twice to remove the OAT protective layer fully. G-05 works perfectly in all of them. I usually drain the radiators and overflow tanks in all of them and refill them all with about 55/45 to 60/40 mixture of G-05/distilled water.

I don't see anything wrong with how you are going about it here. Ford and Chrysler recommend G-05, so best to stick with it. I can't blame someone for switching out the Dexcool in a GM to some other longlife anti-freeze. And it makes sense for you to use one coolant across the board. I'm not sure if the chemical flush takes off the protective layer of the former ant-freeze or not, but if you are switching Dexcool to G-05, a full flush with chemical cleaner is probably a smart move. I tend to think with G-05 this step is more necessary for switching and with Peak GL less necessary. I'm of the opinion PGL is a better option for GM and Asian when switching away from OEM coolant.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
That might've been true about silicon drop out and short shelf life at one time, but I think most of the recent Green has a low silicate formula, maybe similar to G-05's. Green was never suggested to last more than 2-3 years and as long as you followed that recommendation it seemed to work well in most any car.

That may be true, but it is the OAT additives of G-05 that make the difference. The other problem is that the new green is hard to find. Zerex's new green lasts 5 yrs./100,000 miles. Just think, if the world had been patient, we would all still be using an improved green coolant.

Well Dexcol is not as bad as some make it out to be as long as you keep air out of the system. It might be more agressive with certain plastics and gaskets, but other than that it actually protects pretty well. I don't think Green will attack newer cooling systems anymore than say G-05 will. Green has been recommended and used in cooling systems for well over 20 years that were very similar to newer ones, aluminum, plastic radiator tanks etc. There might be a small issue of Green being more basic than idea for aluminum. I'm not sure what the pH of G-05 is, but again this hasn't been a big issue. Green has prtected aluminum fairly well for over 20 years.

An excellent point! However, it is the rest of green's ingredients that make up its IAT that can cause the damage. I think you may be forgetting that G-05 was designed from the get go to be a direct replacement to the original green coolant.

Another problem is GM. Their cooling system designs suck. They typically use an overflow tank set away from the radiator and connect that overflow tank to the radiator with a small diameter rubber hose usually about 18" or so in length. The overflow tank doesn't have a sensor in it to alert the owner of a low level and the radiator gets too low before the idiot light goes off.

Ford usually has a big overflow tank hooked to the radiator directly above it with a short length of rubber hose with a big diameter and they set the overflow above the radiator. The overflow also has a sensor in it. This is a much better design than GM. There is no actual radiator cap. It is a pressurized cap on the overflow. And the overflow is clear to visually inspect it without the cap's removal.

I think most Green is a low silicate formula. G-05 is primarily a H-OAT for the purpose of longer life. I don't think the issue revolves around silicates since if you change Green more regularly they don't seem to be a problem.

G-05 was designed to be the direct replacement of the old green stuff.

Yeah that's true I think. Asians don't like silicants because of concerns of water pump seal life, and Europeans don't like phospahtes because of hard water concerns. I don't think either is really a concern in reality, but phosphates might have less issues if the water isn't hard. Now, this instant protection thing I think is blown over-board, but I'll get back to that later. Usually this protective coating is put down before any real issue seems to develop and now you have full-time protection.

Instant protection is no overblown. G-05 using silicates and Asian coolant using phosphates provide this. Deathcool cannot as it doesn't contain either.

This just hasn't been a problem with dexcool and probably other anti-freezes that lack fast acting inhibitors. Maybe it could be in an older engine switched from Green to Dexcool, but I doubt it.

You are wrong about all of that. Perhaps the water pump seals last longer using Deathcool than they did wit hteh old green syrup, but the impellers still suffer cavitation damage.

Which is why we need antifreeze/coolant. Not only for freezing protection but for boilover protection and cooling system protection.

Maybe, but I don't know if it needs that long to act. Most people just circulate the radiator cleaner for a few minutes and it seems to work.

Some people are not following the directions then, lol. It does take this long especially when doing a conversion from Deathcool. The Prestone product I mentioned earlier has to be ran 4-6 hours (can be on and off driving) and may also require 2 or more bottles. I usually use 2 bottles anyway and repeat the process one more time after draining the cleaner out and flushing one more time with distilled water. I then pour two bottles in and top off with distilled water and drive around for another 4-6 hours.

I think if an anti-freeze like PGL lacks 2-EHA then it is not "deathcool" anymore than Green, Asian, or G-05 is. We don't know what the proprietary inhibitor is, but I think the formula is more similar to Asian formula, which is held in high esteem, without the phosphates. It claims greater compatibility with other coolants and a longer life. Either it's really good or hyped up, but I think it's much better than the other universal coolants/dexclones.

The first part of this is in correct. Other than no 2-EHA and a different color, Peak GL is chemically identical to Deathcool.

Deathcool is made of...
  • Ethylene Glycol
  • Diethlyene Glycol
  • 2-EHA
  • Potassium Hydroxide
G-05 is made of...
  • Ethylene Glycol
  • Diethlyene Glycol
  • Silicates
  • Sodium Tetraborate Pentahydrate (I have seen some use Sodium Benzoate)
All automotive coolants contain about 95% glycol. It is the 5% of additives that make it what it is. And as you can see, the additives that make G-05 are entirely different than Deathcool.

I agree with all that. I don't have the proof but my thinking is G-05 is probably less compatible with mixing in other coolants than the others.

It is best to never mix coolants. If you don't have the right coolant then go get the right coolant. If you are in an emergency and need to top off then use distilled water. If no distilled water then you are SOOL unless you really want to contaminate your cooling system with municipal drinking water or worse yet well water. It is always smart to have a 50/50 mix of the coolant you need and distilled water especially on long road trips.

I don't see anything wrong with how you are going about it here. Ford and Chrysler recommend G-05, so best to stick with it. I can't blame someone for switching out the Dexcool in a GM to some other longlife anti-freeze. And it makes sense for you to use one coolant across the board. I'm not sure if the chemical flush takes off the protective layer of the former ant-freeze or not, but if you are switching Dexcool to G-05, a full flush with chemical cleaner is probably a smart move. I tend to think with G-05 this step is more necessary for switching and with Peak GL less necessary. I'm of the opinion PGL is a better option for GM and Asian when switching away from OEM coolant.

The longer chemical flush is designed to remove those protective layers along with other formations and sediment in a cooling system.

Europe has a lot of mineral-rich, hard water whereas North America, South America, Australia, Asia, and maybe Africa are soft to medium water. If I owned an Asian vehicle, I would more than likely use Asian coolant. It is a fine formulation such as G-05 is. In a nutshell, they are almost chemically identical with the exception of Asian using phosphates instead of the silicates G-05 uses.

Hey Coolant-Man, maybe we can just agree to agree on some things and not others, but since I'm here let me run through a few things.

That may be true, but it is the OAT additives of G-05 that make the difference. The other problem is that the new green is hard to find. Zerex's new green lasts 5 yrs./100,000 miles. Just think, if the world had been patient, we would all still be using an improved green coolant.

Right, the OAT makes the difference but Asian and PGL have good ones of those too. I do agree that Dexcool was sort of rushed into production without all the bugs and short comings worked out.

An excellent point! However, it is the rest of green's ingredients that make up its IAT that can cause the damage. I think you may be forgetting that G-05 was designed from the get go to be a direct replacement to the original green coolant.

Well I just don't think the phosphates or silicates in the Green cause damage much more than what's in G-05. I can accept that G-05 is better than Green and last longer but it's not the only one that is. I don't know just how compatible G-05 is or isn't with other coolants. You could say all of the OAT, long life anti-freezes including dexcool were designed to be direct replacements for Green. I still think the impetus for domestic automakers for replacing the Green was fluid life moreso that Green lacking protection or damaging anything.

Quote:
Another problem is GM. Their cooling system designs suck. They typically use an overflow tank set away from the radiator and connect that overflow tank to the radiator with a small diameter rubber hose usually about 18" or so in length. The overflow tank doesn't have a sensor in it to alert the owner of a low level and the radiator gets too low before the idiot light goes off.

I wouldn't say GM cooling system suck at all. I think they are actually good designs. The design varies for GM but they do have a coolant level sensor on the pressurized reservior. The hose size and placement they use is fine. The want the reservior mounted high up and away from everything else because should the coolant overheat it comes out around the cap. Where GM or any car can have a problem is using dexcool with the cap on the radiator combined with the coolant being low.

Quote:
Ford usually has a big overflow tank hooked to the radiator directly above it with a short length of rubber hose with a big diameter and they set the overflow above the radiator. The overflow also has a sensor in it. This is a much better design than GM. There is no actual radiator cap. It is a pressurized cap on the overflow. And the overflow is clear to visually inspect it without the cap's removal.

As I was just saying this is similar to how GM does it and GM I think was the poineer in this style.

Quote:
Instant protection is no overblown. G-05 using silicates and Asian coolant using phosphates provide this. Deathcool cannot as it doesn't contain either.

But dexcool soon enough lays down a coating that provides full time protection.

Quote:
You are wrong about all of that. Perhaps the water pump seals last longer using Deathcool than they did wit hteh old green syrup, but the impellers still suffer cavitation damage.

I don't really think taking the silicant out or going away from Green made a lot of difference in waterpump life. That's why I say Green has seemed to work fine in most Asian vehicles. If you take out the waterpump in dexcool vehicles you usually see no impeller damage and no damage anywhere around the waterpump. Dexcool just doesn't need phosphates or silicants, and I'd assume PGL doesn't either.

Which is why we need antifreeze/coolant. Not only for freezing protection but for boilover protection and cooling system protection.

We totally agree on some things
55.gif

Some people are not following the directions then, lol. It does take this long especially when doing a conversion from Deathcool. The Prestone product I mentioned earlier has to be ran 4-6 hours (can be on and off driving) and may also require 2 or more bottles. I usually use 2 bottles anyway and repeat the process one more time after draining the cleaner out and flushing one more time with distilled water. I then pour two bottles in and top off with distilled water and drive around for another 4-6 hours.

OK I don't think there's anything wrong with being thorough when doing a coolant switch.

Quote:

The first part of this is in correct. Other than no 2-EHA and a different color, Peak GL is chemically identical to Deathcool.

Deathcool is made of...
  • Ethylene Glycol
  • Diethlyene Glycol
  • 2-EHA
  • Potassium Hydroxide
G-05 is made of...
  • Ethylene Glycol
  • Diethlyene Glycol
  • Silicates
  • Sodium Tetraborate Pentahydrate (I have seen some use Sodium Benzoate)
All automotive coolants contain about 95% glycol. It is the 5% of additives that make it what it is. And as you can see, the additives that make G-05 are entirely different than Deathcool.

Well I don't get your reasoning here at all. While there is some variations, dexcool/dexclones really only vary the most from the rest in the inhibitor which is 2-EHA. Peak Global, and I wish I had the bottle handy, uses Sodium Benzoate and another different inhibitor from dexcool and is not anymore similar to Dexcool than G-05 is.

Europe has a lot of mineral-rich, hard water whereas North America, South America, Australia, Asia, and maybe Africa are soft to medium water. If I owned an Asian vehicle, I would more than likely use Asian coolant. It is a fine formulation such as G-05 is. In a nutshell, they are almost chemically identical with the exception of Asian using phosphates instead of the silicates G-05 uses.

See this is also where I don't follow your reasoning at all. Asian coolant doesn't have silicants but does have phospates. G-05 doesn't have phosphates but it does have silicates. Why would you conclude that G-05 would be more suitable in an Asian car than Peak Global is? If anything with the exception of just not having phosphates Peak Global has sodium benzoate and no silicants like Asian formulas tend to and if anything seems more similar to Asian formula. Plus PGL is claimed to be compatible.

Hey Coolant-Man, maybe we can just agree to agree on some things and not others, but since I'm here let me run through a few things.

Right, the OAT makes the difference but Asian and PGL have good ones of those too. I do agree that Dexcool was sort of rushed into production without all the bugs and short comings worked out.

On top of that, Deathcool has not been improved since it came out.

Well I just don't think the phosphates or silicates in the Green cause damage much more than what's in G-05. I can accept that G-05 is better than Green and last longer but it's not the only one that is. I don't know just how compatible G-05 is or isn't with other coolants. You could say all of the OAT, long life anti-freezes including dexcool were designed to be direct replacements for Green. I still think the impetus for domestic automakers for replacing the Green was fluid life moreso that Green lacking protection or damaging anything.

The only coolant designed to be a direct replacement for green was G-05. Deathcool, however, was designed to be an entirely new coolant.

I wouldn't say GM cooling system suck at all. I think they are actually good designs. The design varies for GM but they do have a coolant level sensor on the pressurized reservior. The hose size and placement they use is fine. The want the reservior mounted high up and away from everything else because should the coolant overheat it comes out around the cap. Where GM or any car can have a problem is using dexcool with the cap on the radiator combined with the coolant being low.

Most GMs use the design I mentioned earlier. It does indeed suck.

As I was just saying this is similar to how GM does it and GM I think was the poineer in this style.

I am not so sure about that. I have seen 1996 Ford Mustang GTs using the Ford design I mentioned earlier. My family owns a 1998 Chevy Lumina, 2003 & 2004 Chevy trucks and they all use the sucky GM design I mentioned earlier.

But dexcool soon enough lays down a coating that provides full time protection.

I wouldn't call thousands of miles and several days that Deathcool needs to create the protective layer soon. I would call a few seconds G-05 takes soon.

I don't really think taking the silicant out or going away from Green made a lot of difference in waterpump life. That's why I say Green has seemed to work fine in most Asian vehicles. If you take out the waterpump in dexcool vehicles you usually see no impeller damage and no damage anywhere around the waterpump. Dexcool just doesn't need phosphates or silicants, and I'd assume PGL doesn't either.

Here is an excellent article you should read in regards to this (particularly the last page)...

PDF - Motor Magazine - August 2002 - Diagnosing Cooling System Woes: Do It Now (Paul Weissler)

Well I don't get your reasoning here at all. While there is some variations, dexcool/dexclones really only vary the most from the rest in the inhibitor which is 2-EHA. Peak Global, and I wish I had the bottle handy, uses Sodium Benzoate and another different inhibitor from dexcool and is not anymore similar to Dexcool than G-05 is.

I wish you did too. The last time I looked at a jug of Peak GL, the only differences between it and Deathcool were the ones I mentioned earlier.

See this is also where I don't follow your reasoning at all. Asian coolant doesn't have silicants but does have phospates. G-05 doesn't have phosphates but it does have silicates. Why would you conclude that G-05 would be more suitable in an Asian car than Peak Global is? If anything with the exception of just not having phosphates Peak Global has sodium benzoate and no silicants like Asian formulas tend to and if anything seems more similar to Asian formula. Plus PGL is claimed to be compatible.

That is not what I said. I was explaining water hardness on different continents. I also said I would stick with Asian coolant in an Asian vehicle and that it was a nice formulation like G-05 is. I didn't say I would use G-05 in an Asian car.

Here is another excellent article worth reading...

PDF - Motor Magazine - August 2004 - Coo...(Paul Weissler)

This stuck out...

"The questions about 2-EHA were raised not only by Ford (and reportedly DaimlerChrysler) but within Japanese coolant development circles, as well. When Honda introduced its longlife coolant, it specifically excluded 2-EHA, and we can tell you there is unhappiness at Honda regarding Dex-Cool in the new Saturn VUE with the Honda-supplied 3.5L V6. The system is being filled with DexCool because that’s what’s in the plant for everything else. It would not be simple to set up a separate coolant fill system for the Honda engine.

We can’t tell you how this dispute is going to play out, but you do have to make a choice when it’s time to change. The engine already has been protected with DexCool (unless there’s an assembly line change in the works) and it’s reasonable to install that when you service that engine. However, to extend gasket life and protect the water pump impeller and chamber, it wouldn’t be a terrible idea to flush the system and switch to a coolant with phosphates and/or silicates (conventional American or G-05) at this point."

I did the flush and went with the Peak GL. The advice was about 50/50. I would rather have used the G-05, but I got the PGL for $4/gal.

The inhibitor 2-EHA works well in
hard water and is more effective than
sebacate at lower pH levels (when the
coolant moves from the alkaline end toward
the acid side), particularly for cast
iron. Well, GM has a number of castiron
engines. When there’s a low
coolant level in the coolant passages,
the exposed cast iron rusts. Apparently,
that rust is washed away later by flowing
coolant, and is deposited in the heat
exchangers. It eventually produces the
rust powder problems that have been
so widely observed (see MOTOR’s August
2002 issue at www.motor.com).
Why does the coolant level in these engines
drop? The original radiator cap
design was blamed for some of the issue,
but there probably are a number
of causes, including owner neglect and
normal seepage. However, the rust
powder issue is not a problem that was
observed with the previously used conventional
American coolant.

This was an interesting quote from Weisslers article which seems to say Dexcool is well suited to the cast iron in GM engines as long as you can keep it from leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back