1st Generation iPads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about getting an iPad. The iPad 2 16 GB for $400 is pushing it in terms of price. It looks like I can get refurbished 1st Generation iPads for around $275 and a used one for under $250. For those that know iPads well, would I be making a mistake by purchasing a 1st Generation unit? What are the primary differences between the two? I know the 1st Generation units don't have a camera.

My mother has a 1st gen; Good unit, but I will give the same advice as I give a lot of people. Old computer equipment is old computer equipment; expect at some point for it to be unsupported. I think I read IOS 6 doesn't run on it, so unsupported my be now, or in the near future.

Can't believe that the original ipads are already so old and "outdated" that apple won't even release new versions ios to run on them yet. I suppose it's not really that big of a deal but whatever.

While I don't care for the iPads you can get a gen 2 16gb wi-fi this week for $399 -$75 gift card making the price $324.

Black or White.

I would NOT get a gen 1.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
While I don't care for the iPads you can get a gen 2 16gb wi-fi this week for $399 -$75 gift card making the price $324.

Thanks for the tip Bill! Where can you get that deal with the gift card?

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Thanks for the tip Bill! Where can you get that deal with the gift card?

Duh!
06.gif

Wal-Mart.

Quote:

iPad® 2, 16GB with Wi-Fi
$399 each
Only available in stores
• Bonus: $75 Walmart Gift Card. The thinner and lighter design makes iPad 2 even more comfortable to hold. It's powerful with the dual-core A5 chip, and has 10 hours of battery life. With two cameras, you can make FaceTime video calls, record HD video, and put a twist on your snapshots in Photo Booth. And the iPad Smart Cover attaches magnetically and wakes up, stands up, and brightens up your iPad 2. Colors vary by store.
Valid Thu, Nov 22, 10pm - Fri, Nov 23, 11pm

They have a LOT of the Gen 2 iPads. I know someone who works there at a smaller store and that store has many. Like close to 100. Mostly white.

Take care, Bill

Blackberry Playbooks are supposedly gonna be on for $99 this week at Staples in this area. Even the regular price is only $149.

If you just need something to surf with its a no brainer.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Blackberry Playbooks are supposedly gonna be on for $99 this week at Staples in this area. Even the regular price is only $149.

If you just need something to surf with its a no brainer.

Nice!

First generation are slow. Even kindle fire is faster and cheaper new. I am going to sell mine on Gazelle. I will get around 100-125 bucks only but that will buy some oil!

The iPad 2 should be supported for a while now. Given the choice between the 1 and the 2, I'd do a 2 every time. Even Apple.com still sells iPad 2s.

We just bought a 4th generation iPad this weekend. The difference in display quality between the 2 and the 3 or 4 is quite dramatic. If you can swing a few extra dollars, finding a 3rd generation on closeout might be a deal. Best Buy is selling the 3rd generation for $449 I think. The better screen is worth 50 bucks I think.

We have an iPad 1. It works fine for most things, personally, after owning an iPhone 4S, the screen looks awful. But, all apps still hum along nicely.

No camera, no iOS6.

Like others have said, go for the iPad 2. BUT...even then, I wouldn't drop the $$ on it over an iPad Mini. Recommendation: sniff out Apple's refurb page a few times per day looking for a refurb iPad 3. The retina display is easier on anyone's eyes for reading any sort of text. You'll be glad you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back