17 Civic 1.5T, 74K on ODO, Pennz Euro L 5W20, 6,786 ODI

Approaching High Mileage Oil usage territory. Always liked the Valvoline HM synth blends, maybe I'll give the HM oils a look-see the next time around.

Nothing is jumping out at me, looks like the 5W20 Euro L is a good match for this little 1.5 4-cyl turbo. Consumed maybe 1/4 qt or less over the ODI, negligible in my opinion.

Did another 5W20 Euro L fillup.

17 Civic Jun 2023.jpg

17 Civic UOA History Jun 2023.jpg

Wonderful results! BS is conservative & only recommend going up 2k at a time but with results like this it's hard not to recommend more than that if you want to. I've been really diving into the HM oils & over the years, what i've noticed, is they've come further. Used to all you saw was HM conventional, Then Blend, Now you see Full Synthetic HM everywhere. It's really great stuff.

Euro L 5W-20 and not 5W-30?
Yes... 5W20. This car calls for 0W20 but with the fuel dilution issues reported by some owners, the year-round hot climate of South Florida, as well as this old head thinking "thicker is better" , I went down the 5W30 road. Based on feedback from some members here, I decided to try the Euro L and in 5W20. Results look good so I'll likely stick with it, unless I get bored and start reading about the HM oils. :)

This had to be a 5w30 grade. In which case it did hold its viscosity better than the rest. You found your oil.

Thanks @himemsys for noticing that it must be the 5w30 grade.

Last edited:
Yes... 5W20. This car calls for 0W20 but with the fuel dilution issues reported by some owners, the year-round hot climate of South Florida, as well as this old head thinking "thicker is better" , I went down the 5W30 road. Based on feedback from some members here, I decided to try the Euro L and in 5W20. Results look good so I'll likely stick with it, unless I get bored and start reading about the HM oils. :)
You might want to double-check your bottle. Pennzoil Euro L only comes in 5W30 viscosity.
pennzoil euro.png

Still had the bottle in the garage... SMH... I think I'm losing my ability to read. It is 5W30. But I also have 5W20 PP and PUP. All the yellow bottles must have me confused.
At least the high viscosity makes sense now. So now that we know, here is a VOA of this oil:

What's funny is I'm running Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 in my Civic right now. :) Next oil analysis will be in late October.

At least the high viscosity makes sense now. So now that we know, here is a VOA of this oil:

What's funny is I'm running Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 in my Civic right now. :) Next oil analysis will be in late October.
:whistle: + :unsure:

With some fuel, it held grade well; Buster is right, you found your oil! Good results!
With a flashpoint of 365 and a viscosity that has sheared from over 12 to the low 10s, it's not "some" fuel, it's a lot of fuel!

I do agree this oil worked well. I do notice that insoluables are higher than other OCI, maybe better filtration would be in order? Monitor to see if it's a trend.

No way I'd quit using this to run a Valvoline HM synblend, but maybe that's just me.

Back