16in wheels on 2006 Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SL 2WD with 6 bolt 17 x 7.5 rims. For winter tires I am considering buying 6 bolt 16 x 6.5 rims from GM, which are OE on 2004 Silverado 4WD 1500. Can someone confirm that these rims will indeed fit my truck? BTW all the rims mentioned here are the basic steel rims. Thanks.

Yup, no problem.

I have an '04 Sierra 1500 SL 2WD that came with 16" alloys and 255/70-16 tires. I bought a set of OE 17" take-off's from e-Bay and installed a set of 275/60-17 tires. Sold my 16's on e-Bay as well.

So you're going in the opposite direction as me. No worries.

Nope, 16in rims did not fit. The front brake calipers did not clear the rim. The rear drums easily cleared. A local person had advertised 16in rims, so I went over with a jack and tried the rims on my truck. So I have no choice but to stay with 17in rims for winter tires, which will be Blizzak DMZ3 which seems to have the most ice traction of any light truck/SUV tire available. If someone knows of any tire with more traction please let me know.

Well, it's a good thing you checked!!
blush.gif

I guess that means GM changed the brake package between the '04 and '06 model years. Seems strange to me they'd do this, but....
dunno.gif

Anyway, a big
pat2.gif
upside the head for me.

The guy with the 16in rims seemed pretty knowledgeable about wheels. He said that GM went back to drums because thay had all kinds of problems with rear discs, especially with the parking brake. With rear drums the front discs have to do more work (under heavy braking the drums will fade faster and the front discs will have to take over) and that is why GM went to bigger front brakes. BTW the 1500HD, the 2500 and the 3500 all still come with 16in (8 bolt) rims and these rims obviously clear the calipers.

if you tried a steel 16" rim and it didn't fit due to clearance, you may want to look at an alloy rim. Most alloy rims I have seen have more clearance for the same size as their steel counterpart. I had a 1985 Dodge Shelby charger. I could run 14" alloy rims, but could not find a steel rim that would fit over the front calipers. A knowledgeable rim dealership could easily help out.

The rims I tried on were alloy rims and they did not clear the calipers. In fact I tried on two different alloy rims and neither one fit. I just bought a set of 17in alloy rims on e-bay, they are original GM and they are really nice and I got them surprisingly cheap. Here is the link http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View...romZR40QQfviZ1. One small problem is that they have the Chevy centre caps amd my truck is a GMC.

You got a great deal! I paid $300 + shipping for the 17" take off's for my Sierra. Sold the OE 16's for just over $100. E-Bay rules for this kind of stuff!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back