'14 Accord Voltage Regulator for Alternator ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fords have had adaptive charging or smart charging or whatever you want to call it since like the early 2000s? As far as I understand it there is a voltage regulator in the alternator but it's controlled by the ECM/PCM... I'm sure pretty much any modern vehicle including your Honda has it. So basically you can't reliably test it with the parts store testers that connect to the battery terminals.

As for the tester damaging the alternator, I doubt it. Though a bad battery can definitely kill an alternator fairly quickly.

Group 51 and other compact battery sizes are usually far less reliable than physically larger batteries. Size 35 batteries fit in most Accords with 51R batteries. In CRVs as well but you have to ditch the plastic spacer tray thing on some years... just did one this morning.

Pretty sure the little battery in my Escape isn't long for this world since I have an upgraded audio system and I often listen for a long time without the vehicle running. But my nice group size 65 AGM battery I had in my Crown Vic couldn't fit so unfortunately that buyer got a brand new $190 battery that still cost me like $100 on a car I sold for like $1700... I might be able to fit a 47 or 48 or 35 when it's time to put a battery in my Escape though!

Last edited:
A correction for line 2. The recall was for the " Battery Management Sensor" not the " Battery monitor device" which is what I called it in line 2.

8. Also my Ct Honda dealer said that a wire harness has a short in it and that is causing the alternator to go bad so I need a new alternator.
Repair wire harness and replace alternator for $800.00. They had to order the alternator so I do not have my car back yet.

Originally Posted by Trav
I think the ECM controls alternator output on this unit, IIRC it doesn't use a internal regulator.

This is why you should always install a voltmeter in your car. On a car there the ECM is doing weird things to potentially save a tiny amount of gas, it's going to be really hard to diagnose an alternator unless you already know how it normally operates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back