05 Tundra CC 4x4 towing capability

Looking for feedback from people who have actually owned this truck. I know what the numbers state.

Is this set-up comfortable towing a 4.5k deep V boat (surge brakes) ? Towing through MN and WI. Key word - 'comfortable', don't want to feel like it is approaching the upper capabilities.

Thank you.

Here’s a Tundra CrewMax, 5.7, 4x4, tow package, with about 8,000#.

Handles it with ease.

IMG_9421.jpeg

I towed 5000lbs with a first gen Sequoia (4.7 4wd) approx 1k miles from PHX to DEN and it pulled and stopped just fine. No trailer brakes on that particular trailer. Only downside was 7-9 mpg. I feel you should be fine with 4500lbs and trailer brakes.

I don't think you'll have any issues. Towed several cars over long distances with mine over the years, and it always did fine. It was just a lowly access cab, not the double cab.

Reactions: GON
I towed a 3500lb boat with complete ease between Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, and the lower parts of Canada for years with the slightly less capable 2001 Sequoia. I made three runs towing about 6500 lbs (ish) of wood just a couple years ago and while it wouldnt break any speed records, it was adequate, as long as you werent in a hurry. I'd say the biggest factor was the brakes, they arent steller on the first gen Tundras and Sequoias, and I drove accordingly.

But 4500 lbs I dont think would be a problem at all.

Yes, the 4.7.

I have other options, just trying to get my ducks in a row.

Yes, the 4.7.

I have other options, just trying to get my ducks in a row.
This is something that I've noticed with a lot of 1st Gen Tundras. The rear drum brakes are very often not in adjustment, and they need to be readjusted every so often. If everything isn't rusted up, you can usually operate the cable while under the truck to tighten them.

Not saying yours are out of adjustment, but I see it a lot. And having them in proper adjustment helps a lot with overall brake function, which is even more important with towing.

Looking for feedback from people who have actually owned this truck. I know what the numbers state.

Is this set-up comfortable towing a 4.5k deep V boat (surge brakes) ? Towing through MN and WI. Key word - 'comfortable', don't want to feel like it is approaching the upper capabilities.

Thank you.

FWIW, I have a sister who has towed a boat that weighs right at 5k lbs W/trailer, for 20+ years. The tow vehicles have been a 3rd gen 4Runner, and two 5th gen 4Runners. All have a tow rating of 5k lbs. So they were essentially at the maximum rated towed weight. This is towing from a starting elevation of around 5000 feet, and heading up to higher elevation on mountain roads. They didn't/don't win any races, but they handle the load fine. None of the 4Runners have had any issues.

The same boat has been towed by a 1st gen Tundra, like in your scenario. A 2nd gen Tundra with the 5.7, and my late model HO Cummins Diesel Dually. These three towed the boat progressively easier than the 4Runners. But the 4Runners did fine, IMO.

Your 1st gen Tundra should be just fine towing your boat.

You are looking at an 05. I had an 06 with the HD tow package. Tow package is 6900, without it is more like 5900.

the truck was well suited for 3500-4000 pounds. That was comfortable and would pull 4000 for hours quite nicely. Note I did have new shocks all around. 5000 became a little work. 6000, I did a lot with it (all interstate) and that was ok to 55mph and absolutely no fun above that.

if it doesn’t have the quad piston calipers, walk away. The brakes are limited but the quad calipers will work nicely for 4500 lbs, but a real problem at 6k where we were.

the 06 has a better transmission for towing. the 05 has a 4 speed, and OD is known for being over-stressed if you try to tow in 4th (don’t).

My 4.7 was a phenomenally well-built motor. Mine had 150k on it when we sold it. All 3 owners towed with it, and the engine/transmission ran and shifted like a new car, used no oil, was dry as a bone outside of a minor valve gasket weep. One of the most reliable vehicles I’ve ever owned.

only other caveat is this - towing without OD introduces a little rpm’s up front. My oem exhaust sang a sweet song… and could get loud at 5 hours of 2700 rpm. Looking under the shields, they were not manifolds, they were basically tri-y headers. Wow. It’s commendable that they would do this in a factory vehicle, but tri-y’s aren’t quiet when you’re working the truck.

also, towing 6000 lbs through the mountains in gruelling summer heat with the AC on? Air stayed cold and the engine never overheated. I had a temp gauge on the trans and it also stayed cool (it stayed cooler out of OD). You’d know it when the fan clutch kicked in and it would sound like a small dump truck - quite impressive vehicle, and perfect size in town.

Last edited:
the 06 has a better transmission for towing. the 05 has a 4 speed, and OD is known for being over-stressed if you try to tow in 4th (don’t).
2000-2004 had the 4 speed automatic.
2005 & 2006 had the 5 speed automatic.

The issues with the 4 speed auto were solved with the late 2003 models. But that is irrelevant here since the OP has a 2005 with the 5 speed auto.

Yeah, that was one reason why I was drawn to the 05/06 - the 5 speed.

I haven't bought it yet; it just arrived in my area. A southern truck with complete frame replacement from the factory. I know the guy, he hand picks Tundras from that area, as he does business there, and drives them back. He is a mechanic by trade, so he only buys the absolute cherry models (with complete maintenance history) that he periodically finds.

Yeah, that was one reason why I was drawn to the 05/06 - the 5 speed.

I haven't bought it yet; it just arrived in my area. A southern truck with complete frame replacement from the factory. I know the guy, he hand picks Tundras from that area, as he does business there, and drives them back. He is a mechanic by trade, so he only buys the absolute cherry models (with complete maintenance history) that he periodically finds.
If it’s clean and has the 5 speed, it should be a great vehicle for this purpose!

Back