05 Dodge Cummins + T6 = Great MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a lot of experience with the Cummins mileage. I do remember that the old 6.2s in the early to mid 1980s in Chevs could kick serious butt with mileage. My dad had one and routinely got 34 mpg on the highway. Do recall, however, that our gallons are bigger than U.S. gallons. That should be somewhere around 28 miles per U.S. gallon.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I don't have a lot of experience with the Cummins mileage. I do remember that the old 6.2s in the early to mid 1980s in Chevs could kick serious butt with mileage. My dad had one and routinely got 34 mpg on the highway. Do recall, however, that our gallons are bigger than U.S. gallons. That should be somewhere around 28 miles per U.S. gallon.
My '93 6.2 actually does get better MPGs than the Dodge-it has gotten 21-22 hwy with about 2500 lbs of parts & tools under the cap-but the smaller 245 size tires & 4.10 rear end ratio mean 50-55 mph tops or the mileage plummets. I had a VERY rusty '85 C1500 6.2 700R4 Sub w/3.42-1s, it got 24 ONCE under ideal flat-ground, reasonable speeds (65 ish)-but it wasn't really strong enough to tow much. I sort of wish I had kept it for my 17 year old, it was slow & ugly enough that he would have had a hard time getting in trouble with it!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I had a VERY rusty '85 C1500 6.2 700R4 Sub w/3.42-1s, it got 24 ONCE under ideal flat-ground, reasonable speeds (65 ish)-but it wasn't really strong enough to tow much. I sort of wish I had kept it for my 17 year old, it was slow & ugly enough that he would have had a hard time getting in trouble with it!

My dad had a 1984, similar specs. It treated him well. Of course, it didn't tow as well as the Duramaxes, Powerstrokes, and Cummins, but it certainly was better than, say, a 305 in a half ton then, too.

His wasn't rusty, though. The primer was just garbage and most of the paint flaked off. Aside from that, it certainly was a nice truck and comfortable on the highway. It was definitely better on fuel than the 1974 he had with a 454.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back