Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Looking for a new Varmint Rifle.

Has anyone here purchased, shot or had any opportunity to test the 0.204? I know it's fairly new.

With the velocities and ranges offered by the 5.1 mm cartridge, it seems to be, from a ballistics standpoint, a much better offering than the .17 calibers.

I've been reading about the new .204 Ruger cartridge. STURM, RUGER ANNOUNCES FIVE RIFLES IN NEW 204 RUGER CARTRIDGE .Looks interesting.Biggest problem for me is that I already have 3 varmint rifles.
blush.gif

Ruger M77 Varmint 243 Win
Ruger M77 Varmint 280 Gibbs(Wildcat cartridge)
Savage 112FV 220 Swift

The velocity of the new 204Ruger cartridge can be matched by the Swift by handloading.The biggest sacrifice would be the B.C. of the lightweight bullets.They peter-out and drift at long range in the wind.

Mark

[ August 09, 2004, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

I like the idea of the .204 Ruger. From a practical standpoint, my .223 will have to do, as I rarely shoot beyond 100 yards. Since I reload, the cost of dies, bullets, a new rifle (or re-barreling this one) is more than I want to invest, since my .223 is good for .75 inch groups on a calm day.

I would get a popular caliber in case the new wonder caliber flops. 223 ammo is plenty full and more important barrel life is way shorter with the super hot velocity cartriges.

Thanks guys for your input. I think for coyotes I will probably be leaning (tilting, falling down) toward the .243 Winchester cartridge.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Thanks guys for your input. I think for coyotes I will probably be leaning (tilting, falling down) toward the .243 Winchester cartridge.

Good call. I have a very accurate .223 cal. varmint rifle but IMO, unless you're shooting at very small varmints or can't stand the noise and recoil there's nothing you can with any of the .22 cal. rifles that a .243 won't do better...

The .243 is an extreemly flat round. I doubt the best hand loaded 243 has any compitition. Some folks have it well over 4000fps.

In my Ruger M77 Varmint 243 Win,I chronographed some 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips at just over 4000 fps.Accuracy was still under MOA even though the bullets were freebore:the bullet leaves the case before engaging rifling.
Most of my shots with the 243 were made with either a Sierra 75 grain hollowpoint or a Nosler 70 grain B-Tip at about 3300 to 3600 fps.
The 243 Winchester caliber is a very competent round.I never hunted a coyote,just extrapolating from experiences hunting whistle pigs and deer.A better cartridge will be:
Harder on barrels
More expensive to shoot
Less likely to be found on production guns

Mark

Love my .17 remington. If your just shooting 'Yotes the .243 will certainly thump them harder. I mostly shoot prairie dogs so I use .223 the most then my .17 Rem then a .243

The light calibers like the .17 and .204 Ruger are fun because you can dial the magnification way up on the scope and watch the bullet strikes or subsequent varmint explosion!!!!

The .204 would probably be a bit better than the .17 mostly because it would be slightly easier to load.

Handloaders are not equaling factory velocity on the .204 yet because the factory round uses a special powder not yet available to handloaders. Handloads usually run within 100 FPS or so of factory so not much of a loss.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
With a 24" barrel, 1 in 7 twist, and 77gr or 80gr .223 match grade loads - you can shoot 1000 yd.

They don't shoot very flat though. Unless you have very accurate range information you're doomed. The reason they work so well in service rifle competition is that your know the range to the target to the yard...

Get a .14 cal
grin.gif

Seriously, there are people down here with .14 hornets.

for some strange reason, fouling has a big impact on them.....go figure
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back